...tHe buTterfLies inSide my miNd... ...random thoughts inside my head...

 

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Too Good to be True (Final)

Too Good to Be True

Candy was the first and last girl I ever will love…

It was 8 am at school when I met her. I had been chosen to compete for a Regional Quiz Bee or something, and my teacher, Ms. Alvarico, ordered me to go to room 509 and stay there. I don’t know what ill do there but I just immediately went to the said room and sat in one of the empy chairs. 7:48 am, the clock read on the wall. Students filled the room every minute later. After 15 minutes or so, this sexy but shy-type girl sat beside my seat. She smiled when I looked at her and I felt good.

The review lasted for 5 hours and we were all exhausted. As I was leaving the room, the girl that sat beside me asked if she can borrow my review notes for she had a broken pencil and did not had the chance to write more. I was a bit ‘captivated’ by her smile so I lent her my notes. We left the room chatting and there it started.. “im Adam”. “im Candy”.

After that meeting, I always long for her. I would always leave the company of my friends to be with her at recess,. Day by day I fell with her more and more, and I know she feels the same way too.

Then one day, as we sat together at the review room, I looked at her, and gently held her hand. My face showed embarrassed expressions. I expected her to repel, turn her back at me and be mad at me forever but she didn’t. I was about to release her hand when she firmly squeezed my hand with the words “Its ok”.

At that moment, I know I was in love… We were really sweet after that, even though we aren't together formally. We went to lunch together, I walked her home, and we laughed and shared stories together. I was falling for her deeply by every minute we spend together…

The last review day is up and the trainer is scanning her list. There would only be ‘two’ persons that will be unfortunate enough to be chosen. Candy was sitting beside me but she hasn’t been talking since morning. I tried to chat with her but she just gave me the "don’t-disturb-me" look. I patiently waited after class, thinking that it may have been a personal problem or stress that made her act like that.

I was really lucky to be left out for the competition. I felt relieved, for I really don’t want to compete. I just stayed at the reviewing room for Candy. But after that last day, she was nowhere to be found. Our campus was really big and finding someone is like a needle-in-the-haystack thingy, also, mobile phone receptions are a bit weak…

Days passed and I was getting really worried. I cant reach her by her phone. I don’t know what happened or if something really had happened. I need to talk to her, and make things clear…

Then one Friday, I saw her. She was sitting at one of the benches at the campus park and she was smiling. I felt relieved for I felt peacefulness in her. I sat beside her and again, I asked her things like, what happened, where you have been, and what is going on… She just smiled and gently held my hand, not saying anything. After a few moments, I saw tears flow down her cheek. Her happy smile was now becoming a frown, and I didn’t know what to do… I held her hand tightly and lifted her chin. I saw gloom and bitterness in her eyes... “What happened? You can tell me...”

That was the last time I talked to her…

“What happened? You can tell me…” I told her in a deep sweet, caring voice. I had tons of questions for her but still she didn’t answer. She just cried on my shoulder. After a few minutes, the crying stopped, and she held my hand more tightly that ever and whispered “I love you...”

“I love you too, Candy..” I said as I kissed her forehead… and as I lift her chin up, I looked at her eyes, and I felt the deepest love I felt in my whole life. Then she gently pressed her lips against mine and smiled. With the words “I love you” she disappeared….

I was shocked by what happened nor I didn’t know what did really happen but all I know is that Candy was with me. And now shes just gone, disappeared in thin air. I want to call her… I sat at the bench and the emotions I felt then was replaced by grief and despair…

*RINGGGGG* It was Candy calling. I felt thankful, for she was just ok and the things I saw wasn’t real. But just as I answered the phone, a familiar male voice talked and said “Son, Candy is gone”.

I dropped my phone at the ground with that news. I cant believe it. I know it was Candy’s Dad but what if it was just somebody that’s playing prank with me? I need to be certain…

I arrived at Candy’s quarter past 5 and what I saw made me drop down to my knees and cry. I saw her picture atop of a carefully placed coffin. I weakly stood up, slowly walking to the coffin and gently peeked at it. Candy’s parents were there and they suggested I don’t look but I still did. Tears flowed down my cheek as I saw who was placed inside. It was the same beautiful girl I met at the Review Classes at school and the same girl I saw today in the campus. Candy.

I can’t express how I felt that day. And what I felt when the parents discussed Candy’s problem with me.

“She has been diagnosed with cancer long long ago. We searched good doctors that could cure her but the diagnostic papers show it cannot be cured. We didn’t plan telling her but it was her right. She was really down that day, the last day of your review sessions. When she got home, she collapsed right at our driveway, and when we arrived at the hospital, she was in a coma. Last night, her heart stopped beating…” then she broke down in tears…

Feelings of anger, fear, happiness and grief flowed within my heart as I was watching Candy’s mom cry. Why didn’t she tell me? I don’t understand… then I felt something press against my lips..

Memories of the afternoon flashed within my head- the time when i saw Candy crying, when she held my hand with her, and when...she kissed me...

I just realized i have been crying aloud, like a child deprived of something it wants. My tears were cold and full of despair, as if it will be the last day I would live. I slowly stood up, not aware of the eyes around me, and slowly walked toward the door. Candy's parents didn't stop me. Maybe they know what Candy and I feel for each other, and they felt the agony within my flowing tears.

I walked slowly toward my apartment, normally an hour of driving, took me 2 hours on foot. I didnt quite know what i m doing, nor do i care. All i want to do is go there and.. well..wait.

Flashbacks of our memories went through my mind. I didnt know why in such a short time would Candy leave me. Why did she do this? Why so sudden? Without explanations? Then everything went dark...

..

..

i woke up in a large dusty bed, in a dark ward. Voices where all over the place. Fear wrapped my whole body, yet I KNOW where i am. I slowly walked toward the front door, and walked out towards a dark tunnel. Voices were louder than that inside the ward like they were just beside me. I walked towards the never-ending tunnel until a slight green light caught my eye.

A picture of Candy was there and it was OUR picture. The one in the canteen where we mostly ate our lunch. Her smile was the happiest of all i ever saw in my entire life, and yet i could never see it again. Tears were starting to build up once again in the corners of my eye, when i saw that the picture i am holding is burning away, turning into dark dust.

Then all i did is scream...

..

..

..

A lifeless body hangs in the ceiling of a standard apartment, a body of a man, holding a picture of a happy couple in a canteen in a nearby campus...


..end..

march 20,2010


Labels: ,

"Site Visitors"
Psalm's Counter